Texas Brownies- 2 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 c strongly brewed coffee or water
- 1/4 cup dark, unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup buttermilk [can substitute 1/2 cup milk mixed with 2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice]
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and flour.
2. In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, shortening, cofee or water and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.
3. Pour boiling mixture over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla.
4. Mix well, using a wooden spoon or high speed on electric mixer.
5. Pour into a well-buttered 17 1/2-by-11-inch jelly roll pan.
6. Bake at 400 F. for 20 min or until brownies are done in the center.
[If you are going to frost these with Crazy Cake Frosting, Prepare the frosting while the cake bakes.]