Simple stuff and other notes:
- If you increase or decrease 8 stitches every round you will end up with a flat increase or decrease.
- If you spread those evenly around the piece it will be round.
- If you group 4 at each end it will be oval.
- If you group them into 4 evenly spaced corners, you will have a square.
- If you increase or decrease 6 stitches every other round you will get a conish shape, like the top of the head or a toe on a tube sock, or the top of the fingers in a mitten.
- It is easy enough to make a flat toe on a sock or a flat hand on a mitten. The question is, do you have to?
- Straight knitting is the fastest. Back and forth this is garter stitch, in the round it is stocking stitch.
- The simplest, fastest decreases are the k2 tog, or k3 tog.
- Garter is sideways rib. Rib is sideways garter. Welting is garter made to act like a wider sideways rib.